Monday 19 September 2016

Dementia research in Wales - Delays...


A little while back I saw this report into dementia mapping of England. It basically looked at staffing levels, amount spent and training that had been given. It was something that made my mind spin. Due to the work of the Welsh assembly government, the NHS in Wales is a different matter from the one in England and as a result we do not have the same stats as the one in England. So I decided that I would Investigate this one a little more.


So I sent all of the NHS in Wales the same question:

  1. How much money has your board allocated to the provision of people with dementia
    2) How many staff do you have which are trained in dementia care
    3) What is the training that they have to undertake
    4) How many patients do you have, at time of writing, which have long term (Over 2 years) dementia conditions
    5) Which organisations do you work with outside your own to help and aid people with dementia
All of these questions help us to build a picture of what the NHS in Wales is going to help you and me in our elderly years. As we get older the issue surrounding dementia are going to increase. We will need far more support on this issue and we will need far more help for our families. This is one of those issues which will increase in every way over the next ten years.

So with this in mind all but TWO of the trusts that I asked have delayed their response to me. This is something that I was a little bit disappointed with because I would have thought that they would have had this information readily available to us.

I am deliberately not going to give the answers that I have gain so far because I should put them into context with the other trusts. The thing that bothers me is that four of them have gone past the limit by four days (At time of writing). Over something that is going to be more important as we get older, this is a big issue.

I already know that the NHS in Wales has done a lot of work into this, as has been shown in the posts on the NHS research and the University research, but it is still annoying that this has not yet come through on the specifics.

The reasons that I am writing this is because I wanted you to know that there is something in the pipe line.

1 comment: