Friday 17 June 2016

G Cloud again...

I am still very interested in the central government G Cloud.  It the central government’s attempt at getting everything on the cloud.  It’s stated that this is a great way of getting local government organisations to reduce the amount of money that they use on ICT equipment and software.  Having investigated this already, I can tell you that it is an interesting place to go to again.  Now I am having some really interesting\conflicting information about the use of the G Cloud, and it is kinda’ hard to keep up with this; which I will explore below.

The first biggest problem that I am having is that a lot of the different departments are stating that they have used it or that they have done some investigation upon it. So why is this being investigated and then dismissed?  Not only that, but why are they rejecting it?  Well, That is something that i will have to investigate later. The thing that is getting me interested in this post is the cost of the equipment itself.  Reason is simple.  Nothing is more useless than something that cannot be used. Nothing is more expensive that something that cannot be used.  If the central government is spending money on the G cloud then why is it not being used.  

I have explored in some depth the chase in finding out who to submit FoIA requests on the G Cloud before, but there is someone who has done some pretty good diggin on this topic.  Now, I am not a suspicious man but I think the guy who did the digging is using a pseudonym  his name is Barry Scott.  Now, in the United Kingdom, there is a character called Barry Scott who advertises a cleaning product called Cillit Bang; if this is the same character sending FoIA requests, then that’s amazing.  

Barry Scott, asked a who bunch of questions regarding the central government purchasing of the G cloud services. I don't really have the space to go into each of these individually here on this blog (I try to limit my word count to 500 words on this blog), but the thing that I noticed browsing the requests is how much central government has spent on using the facility. Why again begs a very interesting quests.  Why has central government looked into this issue, and is purchasing from G Cloud and local government not?  Why such a disparity?  

The Health and Social Care Information Centre spent £2,072,640 on G cloud services in 2013 and a lot of information is readily available here.  So again, why central and not local.  

No comments:

Post a Comment