Tuesday 3 May 2016

The Search Continues...

I love looking for nuclear bunkers.  It’s something that makes you think about how the world was and what it it could have been.  So why are they not more available to the public?  Why is there not more available information on the world of the Cold War?  That is another  conversation for another day, but the search for this is something that we can continue for the history of how the war affected us and how it echoes throughout the world to this day.

So where do we go with this?  Well, nuclear weapons were a military matter, so let's ask the Ministry of Defence if they have any knowledge of any bunkers used for civil defence.  The clue was in the title “CIVIL DEFENCE” and was therefore did not have any knowledge on the matter. Lets think about this again then… I am looking ONLY for cold war structures. Maybe the would have a list of MILITARY bunkers…  I did another look on this issue with the MoD and I found this.  I am not from that area, but this does show that there are other areas that  we can investigate.

For those of you that read my original FoI request to the MoD, the MOD refered me to the Cabinet Office. ***Big Grin***

Let’s ask the Cabinet Office if they know about any nuclear bunkers.  They didn't have this information because the Foi request is far too big.  Which got me thinking on how to make this request more acceptable to get this information. So, let's send another one which is far more likely to work.  The reason that I asked them this is because it is because it gives us a rough idea on the scale of the search.  Now a quick note on this one, I did also ask the Land registry if they had any cold war structures.  They did not.

The Home Office, do they know about anything regarding nuclear bunkers?  Turns out that this was way to big, too.  So let’s send them the exact same FOI request that I sent to the Cabinet office. Again, they need to get back in touch with me before we discuss this any further. Now the thing is, the home office was response for ALL civil defence.  Would they have any other matter of civil defence… How much of the civil defence papers do they still have? Would the Cabinet Office know the same thing?

So what about the BBC?  They are a public body and they had a duty of care to look after the UK population in the case of a nuclear war.  WOuld they be able to tell me their procedures and their policies for what would have happened during an attack.  Now I did ask them once before (Look through the blog and you will find it), so let's think a bit more about it.  Well lets see if the BBC can give me their resilience plans during the 1980’s and what studies they did into.  

Now the search will continue on the new locations and new information on the cold war.

PS I also asked Transport for London about civil defence and they were only formed in 2000, so didn't have the information.

No comments:

Post a Comment