Thursday 5 May 2016

More than you realise...

Looking through the www.whatdotheyknow.com pile I found this. This got me interested;  what is RGHQ 9.2 and the code words?  A little look through this guys FoI requests found a lot of work on this issue, so it must be interesting.  The initial work brought me to the Drakelow Tunnels.  An underground network of nuclear bunkers that were across the UK looking to help in the event that the bomb dropped…  This is exciting! (Isn't my wife a lucky woman!)

Where to go from this?  Well looking at Michael’s page, he did to a lot of work looking into it.  Most of the FoI requests were refused or not held - which is not good in one respect but a search of the National Archive would probably give more information - so what can we do to help bring more light on this issue?  Having a look through the drakelow tunnels, I found that there was Regional Government HeadQuarters (RGHQ) 8…  The regional headquarters of Wales IF the bomb went off and the Sub Regional Government HeadQuarters (SRGHQ) 8.1 in Bracla and 8.2 in Wrexham.  

Would the Wales office have these files?  Would the Wales Government have these files?  WOuld the Cabinet office, Home Office, or Ministry of Defence have these files?  The answer to the last three questions will be answered when I get the response to my private email.  I wonder what wonders will pop up on this matter?

The thing is, this isn't the end of the matter. The locations of these bunkers was in Brecon, Bracla (In Bridgend) and Wrexham.  Would they have files relating to RGH8?

  1. Here is the answer from Powys Council.
  2. Here is the answer from Brecon Council
  3. Here is the answer from Wrexham Council
  4. Here is the answer from Bridgend Council

Now in the writing of this I discovered that the  BBC had  nuclear bunkers too.  You have to realise that the BBC have a duty of care to inform the public in the event of a national disaster.  So I the have asked the BBC what bunkers that are aware of as well (on my private email ) and when I get that answer I will tell you.

Interesting stuff this, isn't it?

ADDITIONAL

There are TWO bbc Nuclear Bunkers.  One was under Broadcasting House, London which no longer exists and the other was at Wood Norton, Worcestershire. In the event of war, the BBC would have abandoned its peacetime service and adopted the Wartime Broadcasting Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment