Sunday 8 May 2016

How to prove the Impossible?

As I write this post, I am wearing a V for Vendetta T shirt that my wife got me.  Honestly I am!  You don’t believe me?  Fair enough, I will get a photo of me wearing the shirt and put it there for you if you want. Now as I write this, I am hovering over ten foot above the house and flashing green and purple.  Don't believe me?  Prove I am not!  How’d you do that?  Heck, you don't even know when I am writing this (30/04/16 at 07:02, if you’re that interested).  So why bring this up?  Because it brings up a very interesting idea…

Due to EU consumer law ALL mediums have to say that they are for entertainment purposes only.  If they don't, they they are advertising themselves in an illegal manner.  What your opinion is of this is not the issue here, the issue is if they advertise themselves as “True or Correct” then they have to prove that they are.  So the question is how do you prove a medium is fraudulent?

I did ask the EU on my private email if they had a copy of anyone who was investigated for fraudulent mediumship and at time of writing they have yet to get back in touch with me. Ok, Where to go next?  How about the Advertising Standards Authority?  Surely they should be able to give the guidelines on what to do if someone is advertising themselves as something that they are not.  Fair play, their response was VERY well thought out.  They stated that they are only checking to see if the claim is strong enough not to see if someone is fraudulent.  They also provided this link to see a complaint that they received about someone being a medium.

So where else can you go to ask from someone being a fraudulent medium?  I aksed Consumer Focus Scotland and Consumer Focus Wales, but at time of writing they have yet to get back in touch with me.  You can understand why though; it is a pretty sensitive issue with no real guidance.  On top of that, who is going to go to a consumer group to say that this medium is fraudulent or advertising themselves incorrectly?  Which makes you wonder, what was the point of this law?  Those of you that are that way inclined to go to a medium are not going to think that they are telling lie (I think) and those of you that are not inclined will say they are no matter what.

I chose this topic purely because it is a hard issue that these groups have to deal with and is something that the law doesn’t have the capacity to investigate.  I started work on this ages ago (About 2014 actually) and have yet to hear and answer.  This started with the discovery of the fraudulent mediums act of 1951, which replaced the Witchcraft Act of 1735 (who says the British legal system is slow…) and now continues with The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 which has now replaced all of this.

Sometimes the FoI shows us that the world is far more complex than mere laws and even when they are created, they show us that it is hard to prove the impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment