Saturday 27 August 2016

Northern Irish Bunkers

As someone who live on the mainland UK, it is sometimes hard to remember about our cousin from across the sea in Northern Ireland.  This is no insult to them, it is merely the statement that they do not playa big role in Great British life (Very rarely will you see any news report about them and what they are doing).  So when you look through the pile, and you find a few things out, then then realise then (As a British person) feel a rather large amount of guilt for forgetting them (Which to anyone from Northern Ireland, I am sorry).

So I found this man called Alistair McCann who has been asking the Northern Irish government a lot about different buildings and so forth, which have been interesting to find out about. The main thing that this guys is asking for thought is just to visit the buildings there, but what he has done is created a number of locations which now I want to know more about.  The issue I have is that I am not sure if the Northern Irish Government follow the same procedures as the UK with its files (Sending them to the national archive after 20 years).  I did send the Northern Ireland Assembly assembly an FOI request on this but they have yet to get back to me.

So what were the things that I found?  Well:

  1. Document Store at Mount Eden Park
  2. The Nuclear bunker in Gough Barracks
  3. RGHQ Bunker At Woodside Inds Estate Ballymena


Now this is something that I can get my teeth into.  Remember there is not that much known by us here about this issue.  So it would be interesting to see if there is any other things I can find.  That being said, I was just think about the Scottish post that I did.  They do not send documents to the national archive either. I found a lot of cold war structures here in Wales, wouldn't it stand that I should also find out about what our Celtic cousins are up to?

The issue is I am going to start looking these things up in each of the different councils in the Scottish and the Irish authorities.  It is going to take me time, but I think that it would be interesting to see the difference in response in what has been said.

I wonder what the pile has to say about these things as well. This is going to be an interesting one.  It is almost oa development of what I have written about before.  I have to be honest and say that I am going to enjoy this.  Watch this space people!

No comments:

Post a Comment