Tuesday 9 August 2016

Freemen of the land the and Police.

A little while back I wrote about the “Freemen of the Land”.  To give a brief synopsis, they are people who believe that they are above all laws and that they only listen to the laws they want to.  A bizarre and strange thing, but there we go. As stated in the post, I wanted to investigate this further. So I decided to ask the police force of Wales about this issue.

The reasons is because they must have had someone who said “You can't catch me, I’m a Freeman of the Land!” and if so what happened next.  As stated in the above post, these people have a complete misunderstanding of the law and the worlding of the law. So how does the law respond?

So I asked all Welsh Police Forces the same thing:

Has anyone in your authority, once being arrested, stated that they are immune from prosecution due to being a “Freeman of the Land” in the last five years?

I also added in a little bit at the beginning stating that this is not taking the mick, but let's gloss over that one. So I got some interesting answers.


Police Force
Answer
Stated that it would take over 3,000 to complete
Referred to the CPS
No Information held
Goes over the legal limit

Oh well, never mind. No answers really there. The thing is, this isn't the end of the story on this one. Two things spring to mind when I write this:

  1. They are looking into anything that I ask and actually think about how long it would take them. It is something that they really do look at when they are answering you. Impressive that they can work this sort of thing out.
  2. The Freemen of the Land are far deeper than I thought. By being referred to the CPS, we can see that the Police force have thought about where to direct me (Section 16 again!).  So maybe another request there then!


The thing is, I also asked the Welsh government and the National Assembly for more information on this to.  I asked them both:

Please can you tell me how many FoI request you have had submitted that make reference to the "Freemen of the Land" in the past 10 years.

Simply because I thought it would be easier for them to get the information (That and the fact that they are probably not going to have to worry about much about how the law is going to affect them.  The answers came thusly


Name
Response
None
No Answer as yet

I wonder what else I can find one this :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment