Tuesday 5 April 2016

Specific Information

When I started this I didn't really know anything, so most of what I did was guess work and some educated insights.   My biggest problem was not knowing what I was asking for and asking for the wrong kinds of information. You see as stated in some of the other blogs, when you are asking for information, you need to know what you are asking for.  It’s actually part of the FoI act that you are precise in asking for information.  If you were to ask for all files about something, chances are you could end up with a (Literal) bus load of documents.

Let me give you a couple of examples.  Here is a good one. Think about what I asked in that FoI.  Can I have all the preperation about viral outbreaks… (And yes I did ask the SAS and SBS…) How many viruses are there in the world?  How many of them can be weaponised?  I was asking the whole of the MoD for all things that they do for a viral outbreak!  Let's drill into that request a little more.  Deliberate or not?  So I was asking them for their counter-terrorist manual.  You think that I am going to get it?  I don't think so. So you have to have a bit of an insight into what you are asking for or AT LEAST know how you are going to break down the request (For example, here is the SAME basic request, broken down a bit with a bit more thought, and to a different authority.  See the difference?)

So what if you were to ask Transport for London about all the research they have done into driverless cars.  They would probably state that this is WAY too much to send over.  If you asked the same question to the Ministry for Transport and they said it was way too much, what do you do?  You CLARIFY the request.  Look at the above examples that I gave. It's the same as the viral outbreaks one.  Do you realise how many studies have to be done to make a car drive itself?  There’s over 3000 files.  Now let's assume that there are a 100 papers in each files.  That's 300,000 pieces of paper.  You think you can read all that in 18 hours?  Look back at the clarification that I have made on those.  That should at least give SOME ease to get that information.

You have to remember when you are making the request you are asking another human being who only has 18 hours to get that information.  If you don't know what you are looking for then how is that poor person supposed to know?  Remember, be precise and you will find the information you are looking for.  Lots of little requests will get you more information than a big sweeping one.

Remember though, that they HAVE to get back to you in 20 working days of the request. Sometimes you do have to give them a little kick up the backside to make sure that they are working (like I have done with the ministry of transport).  The reason is that they are, technically, breaking the law.  Makes you smile doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment